In 2007 NASA thought it best that I spend three months in Koeln, Germany to assist ESA in becoming a full member of the International Space Station. That was a big mistake. I fell in love with this city and three years later recieved the opportunity to come and work for ESA full-time! Here I will log the trials and triumphs of an ex-pat in Germany. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Need for Speed

I'm just going to say that the Germans have it right by utilizing the Autobahn. If you build just find automobiles like VW and BMW, then you should be able to use it to it's fullest potential. Well my drive to work does not allow for true German driving because it is so close to Koln, but on the drive to Luxembourg, I got to see what a 4 cylinder mean to VW in my rented Passat.



The roads are just windy enough to keep you interested, but gradual enough to maintain a decent speed. They are also lined with trees or span across valleys over villages so there is always something to see if you don't want it to be a blur.

Just before entering Luxembourg, I found the perfect stretch of road; downhill, and dry with no cars. We used Marco's GPS to get exactly how fast I was able to get the Passat. I made ti to 213 kph before I had to slow down for a turn. The Passat definitely needs a 6th gear if you are going to stay at that speed. The engine was roaring, but oh what a sound it was!


The next Monday Morning commute was even more frustrating than usual because 100kph felt like 30 compared to the exhilaration of 213 baby!

No comments: